n2pdf Archive Part 3: What are Job-Documents?
The third part of our series about n2pdf archives (Part 1 and Part 2 described n2pdf archives in general and n2pdf archives as Domino Server Task) is about what job-documents are and how they work.
In order to explain in detail how job- and order-documents work with n2pdf archives, one must first say: n2pdf can process the e-mail content from HCL Notes Domino (formerly Lotus Notes) as well as more complex Notes content and attachments.
The software is suitable for all companies that need a fast and simple n2pdf client (for the user) or server-side archiving (without user intervention). The keyword here is fast and simple, because with the n2pdf Archive solution, companies have the option of creating PDF jobs with just a few clicks and without great effort, and of running them automatically using job-templates.
Create PDF archives from Notes databases or mailboxes – no programming required
With n2pdf Archive the existing structures and applications are mapped, documents and e-mails as well as attachments are converted, for this you do not need any programming. You can easily create PDF conversion jobs in the form of Notes documents (so-called jobs) and the server task takes care of the creation. Here you can use various options, such as running jobs at fixed schedules.
What is the Job Database?
The Server Task of n2pdf Archive creates the PDF archive based on Notes documents (called jobs). Here, users have the possibility to place orders in the form of Notes documents in the jobs database of the server. The jobs/orders are processed, whereby you can activate different work steps here.
When configuring the jobs, the Server Task works with two databases to manage and process the jobs:
- the job-database (n2pdfJob.nsf) for the administration and planning of the orders for the PDF creation – here all requirements for the archiving of the databases or mailboxes are specified by the user
- and the inbox-database (n2pdfInbox.nsf) for the execution of the pending jobs – The Server Task copies the job documents into this database when they are ready for processing.
Creating PDF archives with job documents – step by step
- At first you start to create a job/order – Different tabs are then available for the job documents: Data Source, Schedule, Page Settings, PDF Settings, PDF Metadata, Digital Signature, Form Settings, Attachments, Variables and Administration
- You could for example create the job “daily mailbox archiving at 12 o’clock”.
- Select mode
- Specify path where archives should be stored locally
- Name subfolders, specify source for file names
- Select database to be archived + save
- The work step of the job must be set to Conversion (via “Set work step in job”).
- The created job will then be executed – Via “Start selected job”.
- All PDF documents can be found quickly and easily at any time via n2pdf Archive – Search & View the search and display program.
In the next step it would be interesting to learn more about the full text indexing of documents with n2pdf Archive – Search & View. In the following, this aspect will be described in more detail: Part 4: The n2pdf Archive tool Search & View.
More information about job documents can be found on our website