What are the benefits of IBM Notes?
Despite all prejudices: IBM Notes has been used for a long time in many companies and still enjoys great popularity, even though it is repeatedly put to the test and also polarized very strongly. IBM Notes has a large and extremely loyal fan base, which often has to defend itself against critics.
Now we want to emphasize the advantages of IBM Notes:
What distinguishes IBM Notes from other groupware platforms, other database management systems (DBMS) or a pure document management system (DMS) as well as a pure e-mail program?
- Probably one of the most important points is that IBM Notes is not just a pure e-mail program, but can be used in many different ways
- According to IBM, IBM Notes is above all a “desktop client for social business”. This enables the company to access all kinds of information and also all kinds of applications
- You always have central access and get information quickly, this is a major advantage, especially the “full offline functionality” can be called here – one of the biggest advantages is certainly that the program can also be used from on the road
- In addition to the standard applications (e-mail, calendar), IBM Notes also offers database templates (discussion or team databases)
- Since Notes as a database is based on documents, each element (document) has its own ID, which has the advantage that it can be found quickly and is unique through the ID
- IBM Notes can be used with various operating systems (Mac OS, Windows or Linux)
- Notes users can set up widgets (provides DeepL access to features) and also access other IBM products
- Thanks to its modular structure, IBM Notes can be individually and flexibly adapted by any company to its own requirements
- Since IBM Notes version 8.5, the groupware has also been able to handle Drag & Drop, the overall operating concept has been significantly modernized, integration of various web services (social media networks) is possible
- With the simultaneous step to Eclipse as development environment the actual platform independence was further increased
- IBM Notes causes low costs and reduces workload
- Information is easy to structure, to filter and to find quickly. All authorized employees always have up-to-date access to all information
In summary, one can say that if one does not regard IBM Notes as a pure e-mail program, one can notice strong advantages over other applications. One thing is certain in any case: IBM Notes is particularly suitable as software for mapping individual, company-specific business processes of companies.
Here you can find his nice description with screenshots of all versions of Notes.